Housing Disrepair Claims

If you live in a rented property and your home is in a state of disrepair, we can help you to make a claim for the repairs to be carried out.  As well as making sure that the repairs are carried out, we could also help you to claim compensation for the distress that you have suffered as a result of the disrepair in your home.

Call us today on 0800 083 6290

If you have lost out financially (for example, if you have had to redecorate more often than you would have done or your furniture has been damaged), we will ask your Landlord to compensate you for your losses.  If you have suffered physical ill-health or illness (for example, if you or your children have had breathing problems because of damp), you may be entitled to compensation for those injuries.

What is disrepair?

If your home has not been maintained properly by your Landlord, it may have fallen into a state of disrepair.

The phrase “disrepair” covers a wide variety of problems such as structural defects, faulty electrics, leaking pipes or faulty central heating.

Does my Landlord have to carry out repairs to my home?

Your Landlord is under an obligation to make sure that your home is safe to live in.  You pay rent to your Landlord and in return they have an obligation to carry out repairs if they are required.

How do I force my Landlord to carry out repairs?

It is important that you have notified your Landlord of any problems that you have with your home.  The Landlord has to be on notice that there are problems.  Once you have notified your Landlord of the faults with your home, if they have not carried out the necessary repairs within a reasonable period of time, you can then begin to take action against them.

Once you have provided us with details of the problems that you have been having, we will write to the Landlord to confirm the repairs that need to be carried out.  At the same time, we will put the Landlord on notice that we expect them to pay compensation to you for the inconvenience and distress that you have had.

What if the Landlord denies the repairs need to be carried out?

If the Landlord does not accept that repairs are necessary, we will instruct a Surveyor to visit your property and prepare a report which will set out all of the repairs that need to be done.

Will I have to go to Court?

It is very unlikely that you will have to attend at Court.  Even if we get to the stage of issuing Court proceedings, generally speaking, cases will settle before it gets to the stage of anyone having to appear at Court.

Once we have sent a copy of the Surveyor’s report to the Landlord, if they do not agree to carry out the repairs set out in the report, we will then have to issue Court proceedings.  We will ask the Court to make an order to force the Landlord to carry out the repairs.  At the same time, we will ask the Court to award a figure for compensation to you.

Call us today on 0800 083 6290